Sitting in geometry

yes, fundamentals. learn how to learn. but can't I learn something important while I spend 4 years in a social gutter?

What's "useful" is kind of subjective....

There's a lot to be said for non-tangible skills.

It's not really that hard to learn all the necessary financial skills. Don't buy stuff you can't afford -- good motto to go buy. You're pretty much fine if you do that.

What's "useful" is kind of subjective....

There's a lot to be said for non-tangible skills.

It's not really that hard to learn all the necessary financial skills. Don't buy stuff you can't afford -- good motto to go buy. You're pretty much fine if you do that.

I don't think I've articulated my point correctly.
It's not about financial skills, it's about learning things that will actually help me after college... financial skills being one facet.. and not buying things i can't afford doesn't help me with stock trading, understanding investment banking, and other things. also, then how do i buy a house, or a car, if I can't pay for it all at once? these are all questions i know the answers to, but should be taught in school anyways... I shouldn't have to research such important things on my own time while I learn how the Spanish killed the Incans however many years ago.

yeah im not gonna lie....i wouldnt know how to do any of those things without learning from my parents....i do go to a terrible school tho so that could be a problem too

anyways...good job skinsane! keep up the good work

Do you really want the government instructing you how to run your life?
:confused:

People get into credit trouble because they take ridiculous loans and buy things like new cars, houses, etc, instead of taking reasonable, more affordable options. That's kind of common sense.

School is for scholarly pursuits (ideally).

High school is, more or less, college prep. Having the know how to manage a stock portfolio when you're 16 is not going to help you for college, and you shouldn't have a stock portfolio when you're that young.

Bad schools are bad all-around, so if you get poor instruction in history and mathematics, you'd likely get poor instruction in financial matters.

Better to learn from someone in the real world who's done it right.

High school teachers usually don't have much real world experience. 4 years of an easy education degree, some student teaching, and bam.

Do you really want the government instructing you how to run your life?
:confused:

People get into credit trouble because they take ridiculous loans and buy things like new cars, houses, etc, instead of taking reasonable, more affordable options. That's kind of common sense.

School is for scholarly pursuits (ideally).

High school is, more or less, college prep. Having the know how to manage a stock portfolio when you're 16 is not going to help you for college, and you shouldn't have a stock portfolio when you're that young.

Bad schools are bad all-around, so if you get poor instruction in history and mathematics, you'd likely get poor instruction in financial matters.

Better to learn from someone in the real world who's done it right.

High school teachers usually don't have much real world experience. 4 years of an easy education degree, some student teaching, and bam.

There are also people that don't understand that misuse of credit cards is IDENTICAL to RENTING MONEY because nobody ever taught them that. People that called their senators to veto the bailout bill because nobody TAUGHT them how the economey worked and they thought they were just putting money into the pockets of bank CEOs... People get loans from car dealerships instead of bank loans because nobody taught them how interest works, they just saw "299 a month" and knew they could afford it. Who cares how many months? If the government takes the time to teach people these things while they have them captive (by law) maybe people won't make such stupid decisions in life.

Once again, these are EXAMPLES, not specific things i want taught in school... Just things that are infinitely more useful to me in life than knowing why King Whatshisface the third was killed.

Also: @ not needing to know these things when you're only 16... If there was mandatory school until 21, I'd say teach it then. I'm just saying it should be taught AT SOME POINT.

And one last thing (i'm so structued. :rollseyes: ): I'm not saying I want the govt. to teach me how to run my life, I'm saying I want an education that will help me in the real world, not just prepare me for college. I understand the basis of learning how to learn, but why can't I be taught things IMPORTANT while they do that?

Last edited:
Life skills are better learned in life.

I'm a fan of smaller government...

My learning philosophy: You should learn things, not be taught things.

If people want to learn, they'll find a way to learn (and there is a way to learn). If they don't want to learn, they won't learn, even if you shove an economics textbook covered in sulfuric acid and flaming napalm down their throat.

Life skills are better learned in life.

I'm a fan of smaller government...

My learning philosophy: You should learn things, not be taught things.

If people want to learn, they'll find a way to learn (and there is a way to learn). If they don't want to learn, they won't learn, even if you shove an economics textbook covered in sulfuric acid and flaming napalm down their throat.

This has nothing to do with government. It has to do with teaching different, more important things. Yes, it's true that if you don't want to learn you won't. Same can be said for learning how to conjugate the imperfect tense of Ser (spanish). The point is that we should be learning DIFFERENT things. Give me the choice to learn things that will benefit me later in life! Some people are just ignorant and don't know about it. They would love to go learn about it, but they don't know it exists, so they won't! So tell them about it. I'm not saying we should go to school till we're 30, be told exactly how to handle our money, and pay 3x as much for school... I'm saying instead of 8 History classes through middle school and high school, one or two (or more) should be ecenomics and one should be modern politics and MODERN world studies. ONLY. I don't mean the last 30 years... I mean headlines TODAY. Every day. Maybe ecenomic classes can be incorporated into higher level math classes? Maybe instead of 4 years of Spanish I get 3 years of Spanish and a year of business management.

I'm not looking to overhaul the entire school system of the USA. I'm just saying incorporating some different kinds of classes would benefit the students in today's ignorant world.

Public schooling is government.

Economics integration into higher math -- I'm not sure that would work. Seems more like something to integrate with Government class or something. Economics doesn't have a lot of math in it until around the graduate college level.

yes, fundamentals. learn how to learn. but can't I learn something important while I spend 4 years in a social gutter?

You can't learn trigonometry if you do not learn basica multiplication tables.

Ever hear of "you can't run before you walk"?

Latest posts

Back